Saturday, December 1, 2012

LEXI


I brought Lexi home as an 8 week old puppy in November 2001. She was a beautiful brindle boxer/pit bull mix who got me in quite a lot of trouble with my landlord, as I wasn’t allowed to have pets in my building – as any true pet lover knows, rules about animals are merely suggestions that don’t necessarily need to be followed! We always had fun rollerblading when we lived in Hamden, she would wear a harness and drag me sled-dog style down the bike trail, and when I moved into Fairfield, St. Mary’s in Black Rock became our new favorite place to hang out – she loved to swim in the marsh at high tide. Her brother Roscoe, a boxer, came into our lives in 2004, and she had a constant companion from then on. She lived a very comfortable doggy life in our home in Stratford, we have a big yard where her and Roscoe ran and played, and a big couch to spread out on inside. Her tail would wag so hard she would leave bruises on your leg (and knock more than a few things off the coffee table). Anyone who knew Lexi knew her tail.

In April of this year, I came home to find my previously perfectly healthy dog had a distended belly, and my 10 years of training in veterinary medicine told me that something really bad was going on – despite the still wagging tail. Cancer was at the top of my list of “what could be wrong,” and unfortunately, I was right. I said goodbye to Lexi in July, but she didn’t go down without a fight, and her tail never stopped wagging. I’ll talk more about the path we took through emergency surgery and aggressive chemotherapy next time. For now, I want to share one of my favorite pictures of her with you. Thanks for taking the time to follow our story.

No comments:

Post a Comment