Saturday, March 9, 2013

“What is it again that you do exactly?”

Even my closest friends and family frequently ask me, “What is it again that you do exactly?”.. I am now a full-time Clinical Trial Coordinator at The Veterinary Cancer Center. As I mentioned in my previous blog, this job allows me to help patients receive cutting edge treatment (sometimes for free) while at the same time helping to further research for animals and humans with cancer!

 Before I can explain my role, I’ll need to give you a little background on where these clinical trials come from, for the most part. We work very closely with Animal Clinical Investigations (ACI), a veterinary CRO (Contract Research Organization) based in Washington, DC. They give us the opportunity to offer our clients some wonderful treatment options. According to ACI’s website, “As a pet owner, participating in a clinical trial provides you with an opportunity to help your pet when conventional treatment options are either not effective or not accessible. Your participation may provide immediate benefit for your pet and will provide more effective treatments in the future for other pets with serious diseases…” The VCC is proud to be an ACI-designated clinical trial partner “Center of Excellence” and I couldn’t be happier working with these two companies! Everyone wants to feel like they are truly “making a difference”. Fortunately for me, not a day goes by where I don’t whole-heartedly believe that the work we are doing through clinical trials is making a difference. We are making a difference in individual families and in the future of cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment for animals and people. More to come about the specifics of day to day clinical trials at The VCC in my next blog… stay tuned.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment